The Life of Sir Basil Brooke tells the life story of a very extraordinary man, Sir Basil Brooke, written by Sam Logan. His family originated in England and he was born in Ireland, into a family which had military service through its very DNA. One of his relatives earned a VC and he himself had an amazing record during World War 1. It was 1919 when he left the British army and took his bride
May Cobb's debut suspense novel, Big Woods , isn't the type of book I would normally read. I'm not a fan of women or children in jeopardy novels. But, I was asked to review this one for a journal, and I'm glad I did. It was one of the best novels I read that month. It's a strong debut. In 1989, ten-year-old Lucy Spencer disappears when she’s walking to school. She’s not the first child to disappear in the area, but most disappeared from Starrville and not Longview, Texas. None of the other children were found alive. Their bodies were found in Big Woods. But, fourteen-year-old Leah, Lucy’s older sister, is convinced Lucy is alive. The two share a birthday and a special bond. Her dreams, and a message on the computer saying “Underground. By the Woods”, convince Leah to continue to search. Her father turns to drink. Her mother gives up, but, as the months pass, Leah continues to sneak around and hunt for evidence. While the community is convinced a satanic cult is behi...
Mary has been nursing a secret. Forty years ago, she made a choice that would change her world for ever, and alter the path of someone she holds dear. Beth is searching for answers. She has never known the truth about her parentage, but finding out could be the lifeline her sick child so desperately needs. When Beth finds a faded newspaper cutting amongst her mother's things, she realises the key to her son's future lies in her own past. She must go back to where it all began to unlock...The Secret. I hadn’t come across author Kathryn Hughes before, but I won a copy of her latest release The Secret and the synopsis immediately had me intrigued so I wasted no time in getting started. Beth is desperate to find out who her father is and time is of the essence as her son Jake is very ill and finding her father could be the life line they all need but her mother has passed away and never would reveal any information about her father. When Beth uncovers a letter amongst her mother’s ...
Comments
Post a Comment